Saturday, October 4, 2008

Baking pie ^_^



It's been a long time that I didn't post anything on this blog. The last few weeks was busy and I really miss coming back here :).

Today I want to bake some pies. I like pineapple pie and also cream corn pie. I tried to make it the way I used to have it when I was in Thailand. Sure there are some coffee cafes in my neighborhood with delicious cakes and cookies, but they don't have these pies :(.

I don't really have exact recipe here but I will explain how I do it. I'm still learning how to bake and there's a lot more that I have to learn :).

Preheat the oven for 350 F

To make the pie crust :
2 Cups of all-purpose flour
1 Tbs of sugar ( I like my dough sweet so I add sugar )
1 Cup of margarine or unsalted butter ( I used margarine )
a little bit of cold water

Let's make the crust :

Combine margarine with flour and sugar with your fingers. Don't Knead it. Just gently mix it until the flour and margarine form in to small bits. Like in the picture

Now add a little bit of cold water into the mixer while you mix it with your fingers, a little at a time until the dough is soft and you can form it into a ball of dough. Wrap with plastic wrap and let rest while you make the stuffing.

Pineapple filling :
1 can of crushed pineapple, sugar and a little bit of water and salt
Put these in to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Mix 1 tbs of cornstarch with some water and pour into the pan and mix it well. Taste it and add more sugar if you want it more sweet or add more cornstarch( it has to be mixed with water before putting into the pan) if the mixer is too thin.

Cream corn filling :
1 cup of cooked corn
1 tsp of salt
1 tbs of butter
1/2 cups of sugar
1/2 cups of milk
2 tbs of cornstarch
a little bit of vanilla extract
Mix these ingredients in a sauce pan and bring it a boil. Taste it and season with sugar or salt if you like. Add more milk if the mixer is too thick or more corn starch if it's too thin. Don't make the stuffing too thin because it's going to be runny and creep out of the pie shell while baking.




Now roll the dough out with your roller and form it into the pie mold. Bake the shells for the first 5-8 minutes and then take it out and add the filling. You can close the top of the pie with strips of dough or the plain one to specify the filling. Brush the top with beaten egg. Bake for about 20 minutes or until yellow brown and the pie is done. :)

It's ready! ^_^

No comments: